Sunday 11 September 2016

Ed's Filmic Forays - Welcome

Twenty-five years ago (Dear Lord, really?) I could be heard providing features for the Kevin Lewis radio show on Belfast Community Radio. One such feature was a film review slot, where, due to the religious nature of the show, I attempted to wrestle spiritual meaning from disparate titles like The War of the Roses and Twelve Monkeys. Whether or not I succeeded in this endeavour is lost to posterity, unless Kevin has kept any recordings. I like to think he hasn't.

Scroll on ten years, when I fell into conversation with Downtown Radio's Lisa Flavelle and ended up providing film features on her show, with no brief other than to talk about whether or not new releases were any good. We tended to discuss quirky independent films though, only occasionally venturing into the mainstream. I took part on Lisa's afternoon show for around five years, until life and adventure took me across the Irish Sea to Blighty. Good times they were.

I recall, however, an occasion when one of Lisa's fellow-presenters referred to the film reviewer who appeared on his own programme as 'the real thing, as opposed to reviewers on certain other shows'. Ouch. Bit unnecessary, mate. True I hadn't done a day's worth of film studies and was talking in a bit of a vacuum when it came to the breadth of cinematic history, but cut the novice movie reviewer some slack, I thought. I was and remain the enthusiastic amateur when it comes to film (although since then I have read a book by Mark Kermode - that has to count for something, no?).

All of that said, welcome to my new blog. The internet has democratised reviewing, so I'm going to share all my lay-person's dubious opinions on a weekly (maybe twice-weekly) basis and naysayers be damned. There'll be commentary on new film and DVD releases as well as a harking back to old favourites. I'm not ruling out reviews on TV shows or books either. Hell, I bought some of Burt's Guinness-flavoured crisps in Aldi last week, and may provide feedback on them.

As for my tastes in film, they're eclectic - so in the spirit of John Cusack's High Fidelity character, here's a list of five films I find massively rewatchable. It's in no order and very far from exhaustive. Read it and you'll know better know how much common ground we're likely to share as I proceed over weeks to come.

1. The Shawshank Redemption
It's been no. 1 on imdb.com's 'Top Rated Movies' list forever, which doesn't make it the best film of all time, just a major people-pleaser. I'm one of those people.

2. The Ladykillers   (1955 original)
The final, darkest and funniest film made by Ealing Studios and possibly Alec Guinness's finest hour (apologies to all Star Wars fans, but face it, he phoned it in as Obi-Wan).

3. Magnolia   
It's a sprawlingly ambitious and (arguably) flawed masterpiece. I'll review it on this blog sometime for sure.

4. The Big Lebowski   
It makes me laugh more every time I watch it. If this pattern continues, then one day it may possibly kill me.

5. Twelfth Night   
The 1996 Trevor Nunn version. Poignant and funny and - well - Shakespearian. 

Enough listing. Next time there'll be an actual full review.

Burt's Guinness-flavoured crisps are excellent by the way, second only to Tayto cheese and onion. You should know this.

No comments:

Post a Comment